Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption


Nigeria’s Flying Eagles got a shock ouster from the FIFA U-20 World Cup in Argentina by South Korea through a header from Choi Seok–Hyun five minutes into the first half of extra time.

The coach Laddan Bosso led boys who had won the second round stage of the tournament after defeating Argentina 2-0, started the match dominating possession in the early minutes of the first half. Jude Sunday’s effort wasn’t enough for early as his overhead kick went off target in the fifth minute.

Despite missing created chances in the early minutes of the match the Flying Eagles maintained good possession tactically forcing their opponent back to defense. It almost paid -off through Abel Ogwuche effort after a brilliant corner kick was taken in the eighth minute with the ball landing on the body of the star Nigerian defender. Smartly, South Korean goaltender Kim Joon-Hong was on hand to make an easy catch.

Realising the pressure from the young Nigeria lads South Korea after much absorbing pressure tactically fought back using the wing backs to launch attack. However, praises to Nigeria defenders Solomon Agbalaka and Ogwuche, who beautifully combined well in the centre –back to prevent their opponent from scoring,

At the half mark of an hour Eletu progressive play almost produced a goal for Nigeria but the goalkeeper was on hand to save the shot.

The first half ended after Kingsley Aniagboso had made a good save at the twilight of the half with Nigeria having higher possession.

On resumption of the second half Nigeria progressively played offensively. Captain Daniel Bameyi had a shot almost on target. In the 62nd minute Bosso substituted Salim Lawal and Ibrahim Muhammad with bringing on Umeh Emmanuel and Kehinde Ibrahim.

The efforts of both sides could produce the much needed result as the match dragged on into the extra time.

In the early minutes of the 15 minutes extra time it obviously the South Korean were more ‘’hungrier’ as the played faster with precision in attack, It paid –off in the fifth minute through only South Korean shot on target as Seol-Hyun stole the show ahead of Benjamin Fredrick through a header.

Afterwards, Nigeria fought to regain possession but the disciplined Koreans players played tactically brilliantly, sending the ball to the wings while having more men in the midfield. The young South Korean lads eventually won the match with 1-0 to clinch the day and book a place in the semi-final.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: